Wednesday 15 January 2014

Colour Palettes and Fonts

When conducting my research on magazine covers, contents and double page spread the only correlations I found that were present regarding colours were white and black. All magazine somewhere include either of them. There was no theme in any other colours that were used, or that specifically linked with my genre. The one thing however which is significant is that each cover which has a female model includes more pastel and lighter feminine colours such as pink.

 
The ten colour palettes I have prepared have enabled me to develop my magazine coursework that little further. My reasons for particularly choosing these colour palettes is because they in my opinion will sit on a cover, contents and double page spread well, and give off the initial image I want it to, to firstly attract my target audience. I hope my image will be the main focal point of my cover, so therefore the colour scheme on the cover especially doesn't need to be bold and stand out to a huge extent as that isn't what I feel will sell the magazine as well as a high impact image could.

Fonts




Perpetua Titling MT:
Each letter of this font has a very narrow width, which together creates a bold appearance. I feel it does this extremely well because the gap with in each letter is larger than it would be for other fonts, so therefore each letter significantly stands out really well. All of the letters are the same height, which creates a more formal effect, however due to all the letters being capitals this font would be more sorted to headings and pull quotes, rather than an article, as it wouldn't present accurate grammatical rules. Another thing about this font is that if it is made to a larger size it doesn't look too out shaped like some fonts can. All of the are in proportion widths wise, so no letter looks out of place in the wordings which makes it aesthetically pleasing to look at.

Raavi:
This font allows both lower case and upper case letters which makes it ideal for the use on the double paged spread, contents and cover. Each point of every letter is rounded, which I feel gives quite a feminine represented image, this is one thing I'm not too keen on. The reason as to why I originally chose this font was because all the lower case letters are of the same height, and all the capitals are of the same height, showing a difference between the two, which I feel is a positive as far as fonts go. One thing I dislike about the font is that it is quite plain, and wouldn't jump out at someone if on a magazine cover or contents as it is too simplistic.

Umbra BT:
I chose to look at this font as the thick outline attracted my attention. The outline is used as a shadow effect to make the font look as if it is jumping off the page which is why I thought initially it was interesting. However, due to all of the letters being capital it wouldn't be suitable to place in an article, and I don't feel it would sit well on a cover as if it was a mast head because the shadow effect would be too overpowering what ever colour used. All of the letters are of the same height which is good, as it increases the formal look it is given, however I don't feel this would be suitable to use on a magazine.

Tunga:
This font is extremely similar to Raavi, however the thickness of each letter is smaller, which gives it a more fragile look to it, when comparing the two. All of the lower case letters are the same, and all of the capital letters are the same height wise which gives it a more formal and gramatically accurate look to it. Font is important when presenting vital information which you feel which catch the eye of your audience, but I feel this will not achieve this if it was to be placed on the cover, even in a bright colour. I also feel that this font is far too simplistic, and wouldn't give off an exciting impression on my audience and therefore I will not use it in my magazine.

Mister Sirloin BT Rare:
This font is very interesting and caught my eye instantly because I felt there was lots going on. All of the letter are of different sizes, as well as some being itallic given them a slant. I feel that this makes it very interesting to look at, and will draw attention to itself well if used to represent or highlight important information. I would primarily associate this font with a childrens book, something that would feature inside to make a child go 'wow' at astonishment because it is different. I feel it would create a too informal edge to my magazine if placed on the cover or in the contents, the only use I think it would perhaps work out well for would be a pull quote. A pull quote has a job of attracting attention to itself, and with a box around it I feel this could be effective.

Lucida Handwriting:
One thing I thought was different about this font was that it was all conjoined. I don't necessarily feel that this would be suitable for a magazine, however for other published items such as a novel (for the authors name) it would work really effectively as it gives off the impression that it has been hand written which I find eye catching. The san serif font, has all lower case letters the same size, and all capitals the same size, which I feel makes it look efficient, and more formal than some other fonts I could have chosen.

IguanaLover BTN:
The impression I firstly get from seeing this font is that someone has drawn it, as it doesn't look as if any letter is of the same slant/position. This again I feel would look good in a childrens book, however I think this would be more effective to use as a pull out quote than Mister Sirloin BT Rare would, as it doesn't look as childish, or as informal. Therefore there is a possibility that this font may occur in my magazine somewhere quite large to attract attention of the reader to persuade them to read my article. There is no distinct difference between the letter sizes whether they are upper or lower case which gives of a gramatically incorrect impression if I was evaluating it from a literate perspective, however I feel this could work.

Goutida Sans SF:
Even though this font is extremely simplistic, it is one which I feel does a good job of standing in the crowd and not being noticed as much. This font alongside something bold and broad like IguanaLover BTN would sit comfortably without making the page look overly busy and hard to read. With the lower case and upper case being distinct different sizes this makes it a good competitor for one of the three fonts I will chose to include for my magazine. The ends of each letter have flat edges, they aren't round, to give a feminine edge, or pointy to give off a gothic theme, which is why I think that the font is suitable for sub headings.

No comments:

Post a Comment